Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Your welcome Craig

Those speakers aren't that low end. I've heard new speakers that cost over $2000 a pair that don't sound as good to me as my Esquire 200's.

What I meant was that EV's lineup of larger systems were more straight forward in design for the day and used their standard drivers and crossovers.
Those systems are more efficient, better balanced overall, have a more extended low end due to the driver and cabinet size/venting and they didn't need to use what I call tricks to do that.

The cap thing is your call. I just cautioned you not to toss out the original caps just in case.

I remember when I got my Altec Model 19's and I searched around the Internet to see what people were doing about the caps.
There was the camp that said to put better caps in and the camp that said they still have the originals and they sound fine to them and were afraid to change the original voicing in this classic speaker.

The camp that changed caps had different favorites from metallized and non metallized film and foil to paper in oil so it's very doubtful they all sounded the same in the end.

Some changed the inductors too because the originals aren't air core and they have a higher DC resistance than air cores made with a heavier gauge wire.

I did a quick survey of Model 19 owners and asked them if they had measured the values of the original inductors. The responses I got showed exactly what I found. The actual inductance of all three inductors was different than what was shown on the schematic so the people that changed the caps and inductors were listening to three changes,not just the caps.

So when people offer their opinion there can be more involved too.

If we're not talking about replacing a truly faulty part with a good part then "better" is in the ear of the listener.

Edits: 01/08/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll - DaveV 17:21:51 01/08/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.