Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: anyone have experience with DS18 midranges?

yes, +-15dB is a pretty hideous looking frequency response. that's why i'm not enthusiastic about high efficiency mids, tweeters OR even woofers which all tend to roll off sharply below 100Hz. the response curves i've seen for conventional drivers tend to look a lot flatter.

on the other hand, i'm really a fan of drivers with phase plugs instead of dustcaps. the drivers in my energy RC10 minis were extremely detailed and distortion free but the cabinets sucked, especially when you plugged those evil little ports.

i'd still rather use smaller than 8 inch drivers though. i'd really like to use 4 1/2" mids, but they have terrible efficiency, but do snap faster due to their lower masses. i like the idea of 6 1/2" as the middle ground between lower mass and larger surface area to move more air. if this was for a home system, i wouldn't go larger than 5 1/4".

Edits: 01/01/17 01/01/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: anyone have experience with DS18 midranges? - thump 16:23:51 01/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.