Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Fostex alnico tweeters

Thanks for the compliment, claudejel.

I did consider polar dispersion along with many other factors before I decided that the best compromise to try was the tweeter crane. After cobbling it all together I made jigs which allowed me to quickly and precisely position a laser gun sight at the mouth of the Oris horns and bullet tweeters which directed the laser beam along a path that at least theoretically followed the center of the sound wave projected by each horn/driver combination. Then I aligned each horn driver combo so that the red spots from the four positions of the laser appeared at a point on a screen just behind my listening seat about 1/2 meter above and 1 meter behind my ears. Actually the four laser spots hit within an area about the size of a half dollar coin. Aligning them to all hit at the same point just wasn't possible, and I thought I might go crazy if I kept attempting that. Then I listened. I was pleased, but being well into geezerhood my ears aren't as good as they were fifty or sixty years ago. The real acid test was when I invited audiophile friends over for a listen. They too were pleased by the sound.

The only way I thought I could achieve great polar dispersion was to make a jig which positioned the bullet tweeters in the center of the mouth of the Oris horns, and that was a nonstarter because of the havoc I thought it would wreak on the sound of the Oris horns.

Crossovers are at a nominal 8kHz with both high pass and low pass slopes at 96dB/octave.
I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having it's motives questioned.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.