Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bass control with low powered tube amps

My JBL 2226s are 97dB but have very stiff cones with little Xmax of 8mm.
The motors (magnets) however are 12 pounders which exercise tight control; these speakers are known for their very low distortion. They also have a benign impedance curve.

All these factors make them ideal for use with both my direct-coupled, DHSET, 1.8 watt 45 and 6 watt single-ended KT-88 amps. The 45 is run in Parafeed configuration with very high quality plate chokes and output transformers. The bass is very nearly as powerful and controlled on, say, the 45 RPM re-issue of Aaron Neville's Warm My Heart as with my Mullard 5-20 style, 60 watt mono blocks.

What neither amp can do as well as the 60 watt Mullards is present accurate textural portrayal of dense orchestral scores, especially orchestra and chorus like the Mozart Requiem or Mahler Second.

I have also split the amplification as does Tre' and that yields improved bass response with the real benefit being improved "SET-ness" of the...SETs midrange and treble. If I hadn't gotten old and moved to an apartment I'd still be bi-ampli-sexual. ;-}

Some say the large Altec woofers with their higher efficiency solve this issue but I've built the 8 cubic foot cabinet with 16" co-ax 416s and find they have what a friend calls "bungee chord" bass.

What was the question again?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bass control with low powered tube amps - kitch29 10:25:20 10/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.