Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Increases in speaker bandwidth and sensitivity

Paul Joppa did a very nice job of explaining some things and tying it together.

I would add, just for clarification, that your amp is already amplifying the signal that's sent to it, regardless of whether your speakers are able to turn that signal into sound rather than heat. "Greater bandwidth" - meaning better reproduction of low frequencies and high frequencies, will turn more of that signal into sound rather than heat.

Given the very low output of your amps, higher efficiency speakers will help, maybe even noticeably.

With regard to the distortions, can you describe the distortions you're hearing? Do they seem to be amplifier "soft clipping", or something else? Here again, the Joppster is right on the mark. Tubes clip softly, almost like speakers do their compression thingy, and analog tape going into saturation.

There is nothing you can do about hum, except to change your amp or try to eliminate a ground loop or grounding problem. I am not an expert on circuitry design, but I wonder if improving the power supply would increase your S/N. Still, I'd look at grounding issues first, and then address improvements to the amp or other upstream components.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Increases in speaker bandwidth and sensitivity - Inmate51 08:15:40 08/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.