Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Just the Facts

1st and up front: I work at Peavey Electronics Corp.
Senior Project Engineer,
Transducer Engineering Dept.

The Peavey Scorpion speaker was originally designed as a high power MI speaker for guitar, keyboards, etc.

The 10" and 12" models are still primarily aimed at that market. The 15", especially the SP-15825, has been fitted with a Kevlar loaded cone, and so is much more linear than it used to be years ago. It has a very linear suspension system, and good response out to reasonably high frequencies.

Currently used in the SP-5 Sound Reinforcement speaker, it has a honest sensitivity of approx. 98 dB.

Specs and other info can be had at:
http://peavey.com/catalog/Transducer_Catalog.pdf
see page 10

Another potential choice for use in a high sensitivity speaker system would be some of the BW models, these handle more power (less power compression at lower power levels, and generally have more cone travel for a given level of distortion.)

Recommended models to check out:
1508-8 SPS page 7
1208-8 SPS page 11

For subwoofers, the 18" or 15" Low Rider models can be a good bang for the buck sub driver. Pages 2 and 3.
95 dB in the bass, and 800W power handling, 9.6mm Xmax (this is one way, not 2 times Xmax as is often published by other vendors)
They don't need huge boxes either.

Jon Risch

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.