Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Very efficient mini-monitors? (passive -- not powered)

I wonder if something like this is available:

1) First, they have to sound really, really nice! Then...

2) Mini-monitors with at least 95dB or greater efficiency.

3) Size: No more than about 10" high, 5"-6" wide, 5"-7" deep.

4) Frequency response: Low end goes down to at least 75-80Hz.

Rationalizing my preferences, as stated above...

This would be for my [relatively] portable laptop computer speaker system. Currently, I'm using NHT Super Zeros for the satellites, and a powered subwoofer (Energy E:XL-S8, but by this coming Wednesday, my new HSU STF-1 should arrive!). Eventually, I'd love to use a small tube amp with this setup (Sophia Baby - 10 wpc SET), but the Super Zeros, while sounding very nice, are only rated at 86dB efficiency. At the moment, I'm using a small Tripath amp that's driving them very well (50 wpc Dayton DTA-100A), but I'm told there's no chance of the Sophia Baby driving these Super Zeros at an acceptable level of both performance and volume.

I'd like the low frequency response to reach down to at least 75-80Hz because my new subwoofer will have an upper crossover limit of 90Hz, and taking into account some degree of roll-off at the low frequency rating of the speakers, I'd like a reasonable enough margin of "overlap" potential for best blending.

So then, is there any such thing as a "super efficient", wonderful sounding, low power SET friendly "mini-monitor"?

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Very efficient mini-monitors? (passive -- not powered) - willkayakforfood 11:05:32 06/09/12 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.