Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Faital HF Drivers

Hi-

I'm a new member here. I also post at the Klipsch Community, and Audiokarma. I play electric bass and post at Talk Bass, the fEARful forums, and at Bill Fitzmaurice's forums.

I'm putting together what I will refer to as the ultimate solid state Hi-Fi system. I was initially interested in Bob Crites' Cornscala speaker designs. I will actually be using the main box as a separate bass bin with a HF horn/s free standing on top of the bin. Since the system will be bi-amped with a 24db/octave active crossover, it will make it easier to balance the bass and HF sections.

The M2380 horn come up a lot as a great horn for the money, plus I think it will be a great aesthetic fit for my design. Coupled with the Faital HF200, many folks think I will have a winning combination. I am aware that the M2380 is a CD design and drops off over 10kHz, and will require some EQ boost in those areas. Of course, I can always go to a Tractrix horn design to help solve that.

My question is, the Faital HF200 (essentially the HF140 with a machined 2" throat adapter) gets a lot of attention as a great driver without having to break the bank. It has a titanium diaphragm. I contacted the US Faital rep and asked him about the similarly priced Faital HF204 with its ketone polymer diaphragm. The rep mentioned that some listeners don't like drivers with titanium diaphragms and occasionally detect ringing or metallic resonances. Some folks say that's a myth, that there's nothing wrong with titanium diaphragms. There's nothing on the web I can find reviewing or even mentioning the Faital HF204. Maybe no one is using it or no one likes it? The rep and the dealers are touting it as a smoother sounding HF driver, but is that just advertising fluff?

I'm really trying to find some good reliable info on the HF204 other than salesman speak. If not, I'll go with the HF200.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Faital HF Drivers - coolhandjjl 08:48:16 06/09/12 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.