Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Making the move to high efficiency seems impossible...

My $0.02 worth:
1- If you are going to sit off-axis or out of the sweet spot, maybe you need to rethink your choice of speakers and/or electronics. The Ohm Walsh speakers work very well in the scenario you describe, but they are not particularly tube friendly.

2- I have owned and used a variety of HE speakers, including both vintage and new. They (almost) all have something good going on, but it all depends on your room, your upstream gear and your ears. Personally, I have come to prefer horns for a larger space and "conventional" drivers for smaller rooms, but there are exceptions. I used a pair or rebuilt Cornwalls in a 10x12 room for years.

3- I agree with everything RGA said re: Audio Note speakers. I love 'em too, but they are not for everyone. If you want to try the AN sound on a budget, look for a pair of used Snell Es, , Js or Ks. (/II versions will also work, but don't try this with the /IIIs) These speakers are quite reasonable and plentiful on the used market, and they will get you about 85% of the way to a full-blown AN speaker. Also, if you decide to go with AN Es, Audio Note Kits will sell you an AN/E kit that is quite a bit less expensive than the factory made units. The kits are very easy to assemble and all you have to do is stain and finish the cabinets (or make them yourself).

Good luck. Have fun.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Making the move to high efficiency seems impossible... - Br3098 20:55:16 04/09/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.