Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: What is the best 30-300hz bass cab solution?

This is fascinating, although not entirely unexpected.

2nd and 4th harmonic distortion affects the tone quality of a sound, often making it sound "fuller" or "more defined", while not being objectionable. 3rd harmonic distortion certainly is objectionable.

I would never have thought that removing a large percentage of 2nd and 4th would "reveal" the 3rd so dramatically, but I suppose - psychoacoustic masking being what it is - that makes complete sense.

The exposure of the 3rd harmonic distortion affecting the sound of various musical works also makes perfect sense. Although we humans have decided to tune our bands and orchestras and pianos using the "equal temperament" approach, nature insists on producing overtones (harmonics) based on natural physics. This throws everything out of whack, and it's a constant battle to make things sound good when we and nature are fighting each other!

Thanks for your very insightful and helpful post!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is the best 30-300hz bass cab solution? - Inmate51 11:04:58 04/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.