Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Tannoy Monitor Gold 12" vs Altec 601

I haven't heard the Altecs but I do own 2 pairs of 12" Tannoys.
Tannoys of ALL ages are well supported, spares are not a problem and tweeter parts fairly cheap.
Their tweeters are quite rugged beasts and not likely to fail though.
Make sure that you get the original crossovers as they are centred around an autoformer which is the only unobtainable Tannoy part. The cabs were always a weak point with vintage Tannoys and not really worth bothering with unless they are of the back-loaded horn variety.
These will be VERY expensive!
Tannoys behaved like constant directivity horns from the start in '47, something Altec lacked until 30 or 40 years later. Altecs still lacked the quite important notch filter Tannoy introduced with the Monitor Reds or Golds. Without it the dreaded horn honk is ever present.

From what I hear of people who have heard both Tannoys are better.
Indeed Tannoy once made a speaker called the FSM-U after a good number of recording studios expressed an interest in them but they already had soffit-mounted Urei monitors (15" Altecs with an additional 15" woofer). Hence Tannoy produced FSMs which were exactly the size of the Ureis so the studios wouldn't have to indulge in building work to 'upgrade'.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tannoy Monitor Gold 12" vs Altec 601 - b.l.zeebub 12:46:17 03/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.