Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Making the move to high efficiency seems impossible...

With $7500, I would talk to Bill Woods of Acoustic Horn (acoustichorn.com). I would go with something like a vintage JBL 2" exit driver on one of his 300hz conical horns crossed around 500hz; a tweeter like a Fostex or B&C bullet crossed around 8000hz; and one or two 15" woofers for below 500hz. I would probably put the woofers in a sealed box and use a subwoofer, personally. If you buy nice vintage drivers like Altec 416 or JBL D120 on eBay, you can easily do all this for $7500 and have a truly great system.

Bill Woods' horns seem expensive, but you also get his advice and crossover design. My suggestion: pay the money, and get something great the first time, instead of dinking around iwth it for ten years.

Another option, for a little more money, is the Danley SH-50. These are more like $8000, and you'd need a subwoofer. But ... really really good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Making the move to high efficiency seems impossible... - nl 08:05:20 03/22/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.