Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

EV SP8B/T35B Enclosure Suggestions, Plus (long)

I have pairs of these drivers (16 Ohm version each) in very good condition. I was thinking about Baronets, but have no available corners, and based on past posts, I assume these would work sub-optimally in free plan. I have woodworking skills to build Baronets, but with all the compound angles, they would be a lot of work for a sub-optimal solution. So:
1) Any suggestions on other enclosures? Not interested in OB's. I like the size and sloped baffle of the Baronets as far as room placement options go.
2) I have X36 crossovers, but these seem like they were a 1 size fits all approach for many EV systems. The SP8B's have a much higher suggested crossover Hz. I currently use fullrange Fertin 8" ceramics for most of my listening, so I would like to use the SP8B's for most of their useful range and only uses the T35B's to augment the higher Hz. What say yee?
3) Speaking of the T35B's, I have read a couple posts (only a few out of many, many other posts) that trash the quality of their high frequency extension. Isn't that what they were made for and used for in many well respected EV systems? Is there a consensus on their SQ and/or better options?
I have the itch to build. Is this a worth while project, or should I try something else with my driver collection (Coral Beta 8's and Flat 8's, Apex branded Trusonic 80FR, EV SP15's, amongst others)?

Thanks in advance for your valuable insights.
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra.

Cpwill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - EV SP8B/T35B Enclosure Suggestions, Plus (long) - Cpwill 06:38:16 03/07/12 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.