Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Bass reflex port -tuning help please

I bought four of these 8" woofers last week from Parts Express to use in a pair of low-budget bass reflex tower-style enclosures I am planning on building. At 5 bucks a piece I figured it wouldn't be much of a loss if the end result sounds like shit, but I'd like to try and avoid that.
I'll be using two woofers per enclosure, with the internal volume of the enclosure calculated at 2.514 cubic feet.
The trouble is I can't find an on line enclosure tuning program that will factor in the tuning for dual woofers.
The specs off the PX web site are:

Peerless India W8-12T 12P 8" Paper Cone Woofer 12 Ohm
Well-made, attractive, and efficient 8" woofer that will work well in vented or closed box systems. Buyout, limited quantities. Specifications: *Power handling: 40 watts RMS/80 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Le: 1.93 mH *Impedance: 12 ohms *Re: 10.9 ohms *Frequency response: 40-3,500 Hz *Fs: 43 Hz *SPL: 91.5 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 2.7 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.57 *Qes: 0.72 *Qts: 0.56 *Xmax: 2 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter 8", Cutout diameter 7-1/2", Depth 3-1/2".

I know from reading this forum for years that there are plenty of people here who can probably calculate this stuff in their sleep, but like Sgt. Shultz, "I know nothing" about this sort of thing. So can one of you please tell me how to tune these things?
I would actually prefer to use a pair of ducted ports like my Focal 826's have. In the Focal brochure it mentions that as the excursion on the drivers increases as the volume is turned up, a point is reached (if the port is too small) where the port sort of ceases to function, and the system starts behaving as if it were sealed.
I'd like to avoid this by also using 2 ports of sufficient size to allow them to function as designed.
Thanks for the help

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Bass reflex port -tuning help please - Alnicoman 08:49:19 02/26/12 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.