Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I disagree

I spent a day with PWK in the "salt mine" (Klipsch factory) in Hope, and at his home as his guest. He had purchased and tested an early particle board version of the SK and it didn't test out very well. I asked him about what he tought about peoplelike Speakerlab copying his designs. He it had been done before many times, and he said the patents had run out (this conversation took place in 1985) so anyone could build his bass horn, but it still wasn't "a Klipschorn" and they coudn't call it that because of the TRADEMARK. that seemed to be his only objection, rightfully so.

Speakerlab improved it to the level of the Khorn in the bass bin, but the other drivers were probably rejected by Klipsch and they were probably picked up by Speakerlab at a bargain price. I measured those also and they fell short of the mark. When I put real Klipsch drivers in the SK, including a AA network, the results measured the same top to bottom.

So the original poster should be successful with an SK bottom, Eminence Woofer (K33E) and his own top end and Xover. Whethert he takes his approach or yours, he will get the same results.

In principle, you have a very good point, but the best part of the SK is the bass section measures identical to a Khorn bass bin when sealed properly. That is not an opinion or hearsay, but measured by me with instruments in the same environment 4 Khorn bins vs. 4 SK bins. The results were within 1 db when the same woofers were swapped in and out of the different bins. Without that data, I would have a post similar to yours.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I disagree - claudej12000 11:33:16 02/16/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.