Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: folded horn kit

Robert check this out you can either build a BIB horn. Robert "if" the BIB horn interests you check out the link to the forum below. The first page will show a photo of gychang's BIB horns. Later on page #3 look for post #23 where gychang tells what the dimensions of the BIB's shown on page #1 are:

They have 120" line length. The inside dimensions are height:60" with the speaker's placement being 24” from top to middle of the speaker. Inside is the slanting baffle that stops 5” from the floor, 5” from front and 5” from back. Look at the picture I drew below.

From the front top to the front bottom is 60" and the space where you see an opening on the front is 24" down from the top ---{measured from the center of the hole opening for the driver}--- this is where you'd place the driver in the middle of the front board. The 120" line length of the horn spoken about above is achieved because you'll get 60" going down the front and 60" coming up the rear. The spot where I placed the small black square is the spot where the internal slanting baffle inside stops 5” from the floor, 5” from front and 5” from back. Finally the top is where the horn exits and obviously is completely open. So as you can see it's easy to build.

Robert I also found a pair of great 8" fullrange L Cao drivers which are based on the highly regarded vintage Diatone PM610 drivers. They have alnico magnets and are only $349 a pair. You can see them at this link here: http://tinyurl.com/L-Cao-Ebay-Ad It's quite possible they'll work in these BIB horns, but others will have to answer that question. These are the specs listed on eBay:

General Specification:

Maximum Power : 20Wrms
Frequency : 40Hz to 20KHZ ( in box)
Impedance : 8 Ohm
Xmax : 1.8mm
Sensitivity : 94dB
Fs : 55HZ
Qts : 0.7
Vas : 65L

However if they won't work in a BIB they'll work in a TWQT enclosure because they recommend using them in a 100 litre TQWT box in their AD. A TWQT isn't much more difficult that a BIB to build as you can check out here: http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/tqwt.htm

Just be sure no matter what speakers you do decide to build that you use efficient drivers that are 92dB or more sensitive in them and you should get great results when listening at lower volumes, with music that's harmonically, tonally & timbrelly balanced and still capable of playing dynamics without bothering your tinnitus. If you have any doubts I have a friend Karl I can put you in touch with who'll verify all this for you.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata )

Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns
Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
=================================================================================
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted."

- William Shakespeare from The Merchant of Venice; Act V,i

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: folded horn kit - thetubeguy1954 07:51:45 01/16/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.