Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE:

It's funny but older places seem far better suited to home audio - especially for corners.

Personally, I would prefer a BIG rectangle room and I will figure out how to place things rather than some wierdly shaped "new" "cool" floorplan that limits your choices of where to put things.

The way I often describe the AN E (and J in a medium room) is to say it gets 90% of what the best horns do well and 90% of what the best panels/single drivers do well. Maybe a bit more of each percentage as you go up the line.

The problem is the best horns only get about 70% of what the best panels/single drivers do well and the best panels get about 50% of what the best horns do.

So for me the AN E represents the best "balance" of those two types of speakers. My second choice would be a big horn since I value dynamics over holographic soundstage. Third choice would be ESL/Teresonic kind of speaker - the latter I prefer since you can run SET (which so far sounds the best in terms of general technologies).

The Teresonic Ingenium is also very senstive and easy to drive - but it had some trouble with Trance/house music that the AN E doesn't have problems with. But the Teresonic is of course perfectly cohesive being a single driver and has that edge.

At CES 2010 I have two lists - 5 best rooms with speakers over $10k and 5 best rooms with speakers under $10k. It depends what you can live without. I can certainly get the perspective of people would take the Ingenium or King Sounds or on the horn front the Aporia full range or Trenner and Freidl Ra box.

Interestingly, I like the opposite perspectives.

Here were the rooms that made my top five under $10k

Audio Note E/Spe He
Gallo 3.5
King Sound Prince II (Electrostats)
Studio Electric type 3 speakers
Sonist Recital speakers (easy to drive ribbon tweeters)

Over 10K
Audio Note E/Sec sig (the $51,000 model)
Trenner and Freidl RA box (2 way horn floor ported)
Acapella High Violoncello II
Teresonic Ingenium (single driver 100db+ senstive)
Silbatone Aporia Full Ranger (Manger single driver horn)

What was interesting is that to a large degree these are wildly different designs and can get you there.

But even some of these you have to be a little careful of what you play - and some are less amplifier friendly. I thought I would hate the Gallo but on rock music and Sarah mcLachlan pop (well recorded though) it sounded terific - it's a kind of bass and openness that makes a solid case for that kindof "punch" sound.

And don't laugh - not long ago I heard Cerwin Vega CLS 215 speakers - with 2 15 inch woofers with those pink condom looking surround rubber woofers - and you know they actually sounded good - and with female vocals. I was stunned - I remembered the old days of CV when females would sound like men the bass was so overblown and muddy. But this model at an absurdly low price given the sound and "pride of ownership" factor of HUGE cabinets, is a hugely fun speaker to get people into this hobby. I would buy these over a LOT of "so-called" high end speakers that are gutless wonders.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: - RGA 21:39:35 06/30/11 (1)
    • RE: - the old school 22:02:56 07/06/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.