Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 16 horns measurements

Hello Jean Michel,

One problem with the way you have presented your findings, is that you have used software and protocol that are not industry standard, that are not in common use, and which require your audience to rely on your explanation of how to read the results. A TEF analyser, on the other hand, and ETC curves, are the tools used by professional speaker and horn manufacturers, and do not require explanation or legitimation. I understand that a TEF machine is very expensive, and your homemade setup may have cutting edge aspects in your opinion, but if no one can follow what you are doing without relying on you to explain it, the utility is limited.

Furthermore, not doing off axis measurements of the horns in question (I read your explanation that you had no time) renders the results virtually meaningless, as the directivity of horns is an essential aspect to their use, unless a horn is only designed to be listened to on axis (precisely the case with the LeCleach horn.) If a horn measures well on axis, and only on axis, I can entirely understand why you would measure all of the horns that way.

I also noted that only one driver in your tests received the benefit of the use of a series resistor, to alter and improve the response. That was your horn and driver.

Finally, I must say that I did find aspects of the spectrographic analysis very interesting. After spending a good deal of time trying to fathom how this analysis works, and comparing horns and drivers, I came to the rather startling conclusion that the AH300 horn and RCA driver were unique in that the secondary cone shaped yellow red form to the right of the primary cone were essentially absent, while they were present in all the other horn combinations. If I understand this correctly, this secondary cone form represents reflections from the mouth of the horn back into the throat. And this was absent from the AH300, despite not having any roll back whatsoever at the termination of the mouth.

Greetings from Pennsylvania!

Jonathan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.