Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Do I need tweeters ta all?

Whether or not you need tweeters depends on the quality of sound you want from your system. That is distinctly different from the sound you personally are able to hear and appreciate. Assuming that other people will also hear your system, you may wish to consider this aspect.

From the chart you posted, the system starts to go haywire at about 500-600 Hz, and really goes squirrelly at about 1.2 KHz.

Swings of 6-12 dB within a couple of octaves - or less, clearly color the sound and can create other problems if they are of narrower bandwidths and in certain frequency ranges.

Again from the chart you posted, I can't imagine why a person would use this driver above 400 Hz, if they're looking for high quality sound (depending on one's definition of "high quality").

Regarding your 45 year old ears: What your ears are able to hear can be easily measured by a competent audiologist. At age 45, I'd expect more-or-less reasonably good hearing, but with some upper frequency loss as compared to a 15 or 25 year old. Obviously, individuals vary, and previous exposure to frequent loud sounds (whether machinery or gunshots or whatever) over a long period of time will contribute to hearing loss. If your hearing is of concern to you, I'd recommend a thorough hearing exam, so you'll know "where you're at".

Just be glad that your ears aren't 57 years old, around the age when many males begin to notice some difficulty in hearing conversation in a noisy restaurant, and have a tendency to turn up the treble on the stereo when they want it to sound really "crisp and detailed".

I noted this paragraph from another poster:

"Charts are nice and all to get an idea of what's happening, but the only real way to know if your 45 year old ears miss anything, will be to build the enclosures you want to use with those two Betsy K full range drivers. Then once you start playing music, in your room, via your equipment and listening to music with your ear/brain, that's when you'll know if your 45 year old ears miss anything!"

I'd argue that a good hearing check-up is cheaper, less time-consuming and more accurate than building a pair of speaker enclosures and then attempting to self-diagnose what you are able to hear.

hth

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Do I need tweeters ta all? - Inmate51 11:41:41 10/18/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.