Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: It should be called a "Push-Push" subwoofer ...

"It should be called a "Push-Push" subwoofer with respect to the simultaneous action of both the woofers upon the enclosed air mass."

But that would also describe a system where both driver faced into the plenum (Linear BassVent), or both drivers faced out of the plenum (EV MTL2).

The term Push-Pull Slot-Loaded (PPSL) was coined to describe the design and differentiate it from other designs that use some of the same ideas. One driver's cone 'pushes' out of its frame, while the other driver's cone 'pulls' into its frame, thus 'push-pull'. The slot loaded describes the mounting of the drivers, to differentiate from 'clam-shell' push pull, drivers on different sides of the box (M&K), or drivers on one side of the box (TAD, EAW, Peavey, etc).

"Good job. Is this for PA , music or HT. What are the efficiency and frequency response specs ? "

I have built PPSL for all the functions you list, and car stereo too. Efficiency and frequency response are a function of the drivers selected, and the box size. PPSL may also be used on sealed, 4th order vented (mine have all been 6th order vented), IB, or dipole (after Linkwitz). Recently, Danley has used some push pull driver mountings in some of his newer tapped horn designs, and Wayne Parham has built a push pull version of a LAB 12 type design.

LF response is controlled by the T/S parameters of the drivers used, and the box size chosen. Upper response is controlled by the plenum response, mainly the depth of the cavity.

Edits: 08/08/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.