High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Subjective...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Just my opinion, but I still use ( a couple of years on) and enjoy the 15CXHB's. I think they sound "decent" :-)

I'm not sure what you mean when you describe them as having "cone fed termination".

Their spec suits what you have previously said you like in a driver - very light cone for a 15, plenty of dynamics. However, being bass shy, they need some help on the low end to really rock out, IMO.

mms 71.44g
Fs 50Hz
Qts .23
VAS 135.08l
no 7.03 %

As for ruggedness, I've accidently put my shoulder pretty heavily into a cone of one (no discernable damage), and I accidentally played some Einstürzende Neubauten at full output of a pro amp through one* for about 10 secs with no damage (the amp was a Yamaha, rated at 800watts into 4 ohms, which is somewhat more than the speaker's specced power capacity).

My set-up is:

coax crossed at 2K (2nd order)
helper 15" (SN 15B) crossed I forget exactly where (looking at the X-over I'm mildly surprised to see I've set it up as about 300Hz, 3rd order)
==> both in a sealed box.

...and sometimes I use an active sub rolled in very low.

I don't pad the HF - I chop down the low end of the HF horn's output with eq on the computer.

*through jost the cone section, with no X-over.

Edits: 07/15/08

Follow Ups: