Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

What he said ...

If your room is acoustically reasonable, all you need to know is the room volume, reverberation time, speaker directivity index, speaker impedance, amplifier power at that impedance, signal source peak-to-whatever ratio, and a definition of "whatever" - that being, whatever you mean by "average". Plus a good book on room acoustics to tie them all together. Until you know those things, you can't make a reasonable guess about the peak power required.

One point here: the average listener (at least, the average professional recording, mastering, or film sound engineer) listens to music at a maximum level of 85dB measured by the peak reading of a sound level meter on the "C" scale set for "slow" response. If you use the same definition of average, then you like to listen 15dB louder, which requires more than 30 times as much power. So while most audiophiles would be happy with 2.5 watts, you may need 75 watts.

Having worked in the noise control field for a few decades, I feel compelled to point out that there are many workplace rules, most of which require earplugs for sustanied levels over 85 to 90dB.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.