Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Just a two way ....

the Isophon 8"s are now officially retired. The biggest, most noticeable change was on massed vocals. Still, that took me a day or two to figure/quantify/get a handle on. Once I became aware that the twelves were better in at least one facet, I was then able to listen for other areas. Over the whole week I realized that simply because they played with less dynamic constraint/compression, that they simply were better. Unfettered, unrestrained. Even in the mids. But possibly some of that that benefit comes from a near magical blend with the tweet (crossing over lower than with the 8"). But in my estimation there is no suffering in the mids because of the larger driver.

There is no internal dialogue that they are slower, or less transparent, blah, blah. But yes, I believe the larger heavier cone imparts an ever so tiny darker personality (which has faded from notice). But the music breathes, the notes are free. This cardboard condo resident did however have to come to grips with the new, healthier LF balance. But over the week, came to accept that it's on the record/is in the studio, and ..... is the way the music actually sounds :-)

As far as baffle construction, I have become quite/rather single minded about the whole affair. Accepting (even welcoming) the panel's ouput as part of the total musical soundfield. Having glued some braces on my last birch panel pair [with 8"s (for all the usual auidofool reasons)]. I discovered that the enjoyment of music had completely vanished [merely with the addition of a single glued in place brace (which was quickly remedied with a hammer)]. I see the panel as part of a two piece sytem, together with the driver.

Placing a finger on my baffles during playback, reveals not really that much energy present. And ergo, damping became the greater evil. The little spot of life induced by the driver into the baffle, supported the enjoyment of music. Killing it, killed all of the beauty and charm. I would caution against against dead, or complex without first giving a listen for an extended period of time to either plain unadorned 3/4" birch ply, or butcher block. I don't as yet have a handle on the butcher block, but it doesn't seem to be any sort of handicap. And .... many notables have expressed a strong/decided preference for it. I never engage in one way tweaking. But now that I feel more than comfy with the twelves, the resident birch baffles for the 8's, can now be cut for the twelves. As always, never a hurry .... is it noon yet?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just a two way .... - Elmo 10:54:50 04/07/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.