Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: My exp. w 8" Isophon

So it seems you are using the 12" with woofers below. Are your woofers OB as well?

One thing I would like to ask is if you noticed a clearer more refined midrange with the 8" as with the 12". If you settled on the bigger drivers it is obvious you found them better. Would you mind telling me how they compare?

If you are building new baffles I might suggest doing a sandwich-composite construction. I have not measured, but I am suspicious that baffles have a not unsignificant output on their own, i.e. they resonate. I will also build proper baffles later on, I am going with two thin layers ply with a sort of cheap, heavy asphalt isolator (for roofs, I think) in between.

Another -more complicated- option is to decouple the driver (mid/woof) from the baffle. One would have to build an external support for the driver. The advantage would be: a much lower intensity resonating baffle, and probably a much stiffer mount for the driver (will not swing back and forth): more microdetail. At the circumference of the baffle there would have to be a rubber "gasket" (which I would mount from the drivers circumference to the sufrace of the baffle). That would avoid cancellation losses due to the small opening between baffle and driver.

best regards.

st.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: My exp. w 8" Isophon - Stephen k 08:25:17 04/07/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.