Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Don't Forget Open Bafle.

I have Tractrix 150 front horns, Medallion II (All internals curved with bending baltic birch), and have ben playing ith various ye simple Open Baffles as of late. Oh yea, drivers are; Fostex 206e, Fostex FE206ES-R, Suer Nirvana 8's with cast frames, Stephens Trusonic 8" full rangers, Lowther Ticonal PM6a's, Lowther Ticonal PM2a's, Lowther Ticonal PM2MKII's, and Lowther DX-4's.
So far, my absolute favorite is any of the Alnico/Tional Lowthers' all alone in the simple JE Labs Open Baffles with a simple pair of subwoofers about six feet behind in the corners. One sub worked well also. Subs are operating at around 85 HZ and below.
I am now evaluating 30" wide X 48" high 8degre slanted OB's, and a pair of 22" wide X 48" tall OB's, same slant design. Both have Dayton 15" woofers below the Lowthers (which are at 21"'s high)powered by Bash plate amps. The woofers are 99db efficient 1watt 1 meter at .58 QTS. I have been unable to make the bas gel/mesh transparently with any of my eight inch full/wide rangers. I think that maybe I screwed up when purchasing highish QTS 15" woofers with very high eficiency and obviously small magnets and not so great cone control. The bass is loose, sloppy, and just not very detaled, not to mention not matching the speed of the fast full rangers well.
If I were thinking properly, then I would have realized that I am powering the added 15" woofers with seperate amplifiers and could have and definately should have purchased MUCH better woofers. So, even though , right now, I definately prefer he simple JE Labs Open Baffles (hands down) with the Alnico Lowthers. This is a big deal, the Big magnet Lowthers' with the much bigger air gaps sound remarkably superior in OB's when compared with all of my other eight inch full rangers, including my DX-4's. And I absolutely prefer the Lowther PM2MKII's in the JE Labs OB's (Go on line and get the simple instructions and quickly build a pair, if you have a subwoofer)over any of my drivers in my front or back horns. Good Luck

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.