Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Okay, how do you suggest I handle the EQing?

Hi Russ,

To handle the bass, if you don't intend to deal with room modes, a simple and cheap 31-band analog EQ will do. Two friends of mine tried that approach, and they were both happy. I myself was using a digital 31-band EQ (Behringer)for the eight-18"-driver dipolar bass to dial in the needed boost. It turned out that I only needed 6dB at most. Alternatively, you can use the Behringer Feedback destroyer (e.g., DSP1124P) as those Inifinite Baffle (IB) bass guys do to EQ the bass. That will allow you to deal with room modes in addition to providing bass EQ. Either way is inexpensive and quite easy.

If you want to build your own EQ circuit, you may want to consider doing it at the line level, so that you don't waste the amp power in the big coil. For instance, you can put a passive line level low-pass between the active crossover output and the plate amp input. Such an arrangement will not, however, have the flexibility of fine tuning the bass response, and in many cased may provide too much or too little bass boost, depending on the driver/baffle combination.

I have had good luck with cheap 15" and 18" woofers that I got on clearance sales. I've never tried the JBL 2226 woofers I have on OB's (becuase their Fs is too high and Xmax too small for my taste) so I cannot say whether expensive woofers are better for OB application. I think that most decent woofers with sufficient Xmax should be able to provid decent OB bass. I myself would choose the Dayton IB 15" woofer if I need new woofers for OB, but that driver is not suitable for sealed or vented boxes so may not be what you are looking for. I really don't have other particular drivers that I would recommend. I've be happy to use any good-quality pretty-looking woofer with a decent Xmax, low Fs, and large surface area, as long as they don't cost too much. Woofers are just tools.

As to the the Dayton RSS315HF-4 woofer, it is a 12" driver. One thing to keep in mind is that it is easier to get good bass quality if you have a large moving surface area. A 12" woofer has only about half the moving surface area of a 15" woofer. For not much more money, why not get the 15" DAYTON RSS390HF-4 woofer?

Best,

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Okay, how do you suggest I handle the EQing? - KCHANG 13:30:20 04/04/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.