Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: I need a bass solution for 30-250 hertz, what are my options?

Hi Russ,

Using a horn as the bass solution for 30-250Hz is a very ambitious goal. A front horn for that range is going to be huge, as demonstrated by Peter. There are also integration issues. The reward of getting a bass horn to sound right may be high, but the cost is pretty high too. For most people, box and OB are perhaps more practical options.

As to driver selection, as long as you don't go for something with an ultra low or ultra high Qts, I actually don't think it is an issue. In this regard, I always feel that the "need" to use a high Qts driver for OB is way overblown by the FR community, mainly due to the reluctance to deal with the supposed complexity of EQing. To me, EQing is pretty much an inevitable aspect of OB bass. Once you accept the use of EQ, there are many nice prosound drivers you can use for OB. If you pick drivers designed for a sealed or reflex box and put them on OB, you can EQ them to get the desired bass response. If you don't like the sound of OB bass, then you still have the option of putting the drivers in boxes.

As to "loose, wooly, flabby bass," based on my own experience, that is not an inherent problem for OB bass. In fact, when I was playing with the Fostex FE206ESR on OB's, I preferred the bass generated by two cheap 15" drivers (Qts of around 0.38) on each OB to the bass produced by a pair of JBL 4648 boxes that have two 15" JBL 2226 drivers in each vented box. It could be mainly an integration issue. Also, I've heard bass generated by Dr. Edgar's bass horn and the LAB12 horn. I liked the sheer power of the horns, but I don't think horns are the only way to get "good enough" bass.

Best regards,

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.