Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

I need a bass solution for 30-250 hertz, what are my options?

I was intending to try open baffle bass but the more I look at driver options the less sure I am of myself. In particular, it seems that if I invest in the drivers (I figure a minimum of four are required) and decide I don't like it, the drivers won't be useable for other options and I can't really afford that. I'd rather go with pro-audio drivers, and quality ones at that, and none of them seem all that well suited to open baffle bass. So I wish to consider other approaches.

Now of course bass reflex will do the job but that would be my last choice. Will a true front loaded horn handle that range? If not than what design would y'all advise? Maybe a combo FLH with bass reflex for the bottom octave (like klipsch does)? I don't know speaker terminology so speak in small words please. I am sure there are options I am too ignorant to be considering. Maybe the Karlson? I dunno and need some help guys.

Oh, efficiency doesn't matter, as I will tri-amp with active crossover. And I hate loose, wooly, flabby bass. Typically, in the good old days, I'd prefer an acoustic suspension speaker. Aperiodic is fine though. But I really want tight, punchy, articulate bass with some slam so I am thinking I want horn loaded. I really don’t want a separate sub-woofer and don’t have to have that last octave. Mainly I listen to rock/jazz/folk music and my room is moderate in size. Rest of the package is open baffle mid from 250-1800 and compression driver w/wave guide from there. Too bad I lack the tools and joinery/cabinet skills. Now if I could only weld them up out of 1/2" plate steel:)

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - I need a bass solution for 30-250 hertz, what are my options? - Russ57 15:30:56 04/02/07 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.