Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Open baffle and front horn, sound differences

I can speak for both, I have both and I like each quite well. The OB's with a full range driver can be very satisfying, especially with stereo subs. There is an open, free of resonances quality that is very nice and transparant; can be magical.

Horns are more efficient and sound more effortless and 'complete.' Imaging may be a touch more spot on and soundstage is better defined. You lose a little bit of the immediacy because of the crossovers though.

If you listen in near field, OB might be the trick, or if you have an abundance of space and can do the big baffles with wings with some PHY drivers: very nice.

I'm doing horns now because I need more efficiency, but I still like my OB set-up.

If you can, try them both. The JE Labs design is really easy and cheap to build for OB, get soem vintage drivers or whatever you like and try it out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Open baffle and front horn, sound differences - etch 22:53:42 04/03/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.