Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Altec 604 - opinions sought from 604 owners

I have heard the 604s in the Stonehenge III and they sounded incredible: well balance, very dynamic and with a realistic image. I am currently using DIY speakers similar to the Model 19s. They use 515Bs in a BR, with 511B and 902 drivers crossed at 500Hz. I would characterize their sound like the Stonehenge IIIs, but even more so. More upper midrange detail and dynamics, and incredibly transparent. Their image is quite realistic, not the synthetic, hyper detailed imaging so commonly designed into many 'audiophile' type speakers.

People vary widely in their tolerance of horn colorations. For many, simply mounting the horns to the baffle cures the horn (resonance)problems. I needed still more work before I was satisfied. This consisted of damping the entire exterior of the horn and the rear cap of the driver, some RF control on the mains and an upgrade of my principal source. The last two items addressed some significant harshness. And yes, I do pad down the horns - the overall balance is very sensitive to this.

Regards,

Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Altec 604 - opinions sought from 604 owners - AstroSonic 13:44:15 04/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.