Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: High eff life after Gallo Ref 3 ?

Scott,

You really hit the nail on the head wrt the reasons behind my quest for high eff: Going SET is one and (maybe even more important) getting the dynamics/jump factor.

Yes, I did take a look at Dick Olsher Basszilla. However, they looked a bit daunting as first speaker build... If that is not the case, I would more than happily stand corrected.

To respond to what others suggeted on this thread: Yes OBs do look very tempting (remember that the Bastanis Prometheus is an OB setup with a boxed subwoofer). Some projects that looked very intrested in that respect:

- Visaton NoBox, but in a bi-amping setup (unlike the original).
- B-D design Quasar MkII. Very, very intresting, but absolutely zero listening impressions to be gathered and/or possibility to listen to them.
- Hawthorne Iris with Auggie (sp?) woofers. Wasn't that impressed to get seriously intrested.
- Basszilla: Out of my league as a first time project ?
- Oris (not OB but front loaded horns). Way, way out of my league as a first project.

To sum up:
* Yes, high eff for: 1) dynamics (first and foremost) and 2) SETs.
* Bass -- good quality, whatever there is
* Room -- yes, dedicated, 640x480x205cm (that's aprox 21 x 16 x 7 ft) in short wall setup (check the url in my profile).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.