Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Mud

Wow... This thread did heated up things *rubs hands*

Now on a serious note.

First, the caveat repeated: As I stated above, I have no experience whatsoever with front loaded horns, and my exposure to back loaded is limited to a very brief listening session of a BLH featuring a Fostex FE168Z Sigma (zHorn Heruka to be more precise) on not exactly high end gear.

Getting back to topic: If my understanding is correct, the whole BLH design revolves around that horn loading works ONLY in the first 3, maybe 3.5 octaves i.e. under or around 200 Hz (give or take) and does very little (ideally nothing) above that.

So yes, you could say that they are "band aides". OTOH I am not aware of any truely full range driver, whatever the cost range. So yes, you need an enclosure that helps with the low end of things. Now, if it is possible to achieve that via horn loading (with or without the help of wall/corner loading) and NOT have the bass booming is a totally different story

(Side note: I'm not a bass freak by any means. I only need that as a fundament for my music and that's why I need that -- whatever is there -- is clean and fast. Better less but good quality than more of lesser quality).

When it comes to front loading I did take a look at Oris horns (especially attractive since it's readily avail here in Europe). However, since I have very little experience with DIY they look a bit daunting (and pricey for a first step).

So "being a man" and get front loaded might be too big as a first step towards high eff for me :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Mud - Florian O 13:41:13 03/29/07 (1)
    • Re: Mud - Saturntube 14:33:11 03/29/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.