Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: In that case

yep- definitely staggered crossovers!

i found that if i push them too far out though-- the gap in the middle causes those same balance issues-- right now, i think my horn crosses in around maybe 1600 hz-- but i like it a lot. i had a little hot spot in there (where hard piano transients'd 'buzz' a little bit)-- but the new cap on the altecs made a big difference there. i used to run the horn out higher (bigger gap in the middle)-- but balance got squirrely-- if i had good mids, too much on top, if i had the top.. dead mids. i

right now-- i'm pretty psyched with the tonal balance.. it's kind of a miraculous transformation.. i dunno how i botched THAT.. but i did! regardless-- i whipped in a few capacitance values on the horn-- and pretty close to 'textbook' is working (i'm down a few tenths).

honestly though-- the BMS 4552 i'm using isn't too taxing-- adjusted wrong.. holy cow.. yes sir! but, with this iteration.. it's nice and smooth up top. i know everybody is pretty anti- ears, or anti-measurement.. but i definitely enjoy it. i use caps from a pretty big collection of old oil cans (all scrap parts and ebay finds.. not $100 in the lot, but literally 200 of 'em, mostly vitamin q's, etc.), and i've got about 5 sets of madisound sledgehammer inductors from about 1.8mH to 3.0.. again, less than $100.. so it's cheap fun, more or less! things getting close.. i'm spending less and less nowadays too.. thank god.. less time soldering too..

much more listening anymore.. thank goodness..

thanks again!

d

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: In that case - stuck.wilson@gmail.com 14:07:57 03/27/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.