Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

In that case

You might want to try crossing over even higher. In terms of "beaming" 13" is right about 1,000 hertz. So a 13" cone would beam there. But what actually happens is the cone edges start decoupling from the center of the cone so your 12" woofer isn't really 12" at 1500 hertz because the outside edges are hardly moving compared to the dust cover/center of the cone. IIRC some speakers had that woofer running up near 3khz. Now that is too far IMHO but 2khz might be worth trying. I mention this because reading between the lines I feel you enjoy the mid range warmth and tonal qualities of the woofer and find the treble horn a little taxing.

You are smart to use a 1st order electrical on the horn as it has a first order acoustical already. Don't be afraid to stagger the crossover points a little. Say 2khz on the woofer but 2k2 (or higher) on the tweeter. Many woofers have more output as the hertz goes up so it will play higher up than the crossover would dictate (unless you put a zobel on it). Plus it is not unusual to have a little extra energy at the crossover point as both drivers are combining to the output.

For me, trying to get a crossover right with only my ears is an act in frustration and a huge waste of time and parts. You really have to measure the driver parameters, do a spot of modeling, and then measure in room response.

But I know you are enjoying what would be frustrating to me:)

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • In that case - Russ57 10:56:52 03/27/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.