Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

limited bass on Gallo Ref 3? + more

Hi Florian,

Have you ever tried a separate amp for the bass?

The ref 3, I listened to it once, did not fit my tastes - single drivers will spoil you - but I didn't find them bass shy (with the Gallo bass amp), if anything there was too much "fake bass" where the cellos sound more like double basses. Also the Gallos needed to be driven loud, I did not like them (to the degree that i liked them) at my lower preferred volume range.

Right now I have Abbys and I added a used 90's Alon sub (when subs were thought of a adding musical enjoyment, not adding to the depth to explosions) - the sub was important to adding heft to the Abbys lower range. My problem is that I'd like the sub to work the other way, get rid of the lowers extension rumble and blend better (I keep it set really low, it's not perfect but I would not take it out). The all-in-one box is great, but the size rules that out for me (not to mention expense, but I'm not mentioning it).

I have not heard the Bastanis Prometheus MkII, are they pro drivers? I don't know what they sound like - but my instinct would be to go with Fostex, or other real single drivers. But that's only based on my limited experience and the idea that you go for the best you can afford and then build..... so in my opinion you are going in the right direction.

See what you think about the clarity of the 4-inch fostex. You have a great amp, for my Abbys I did not feel that 3.5 watts allowed them to open up as much as they can. (Maybe I did not have the right 3.5 watts?) I would not sink money into an amp - specially a 45 SET - until you know what you want out of a speaker.

On the other hand I think we are headed to a hybrid two or three-way systems, so the Bastanis might be going in the right direction. It's the direction that Bruce Edgar is going in, for instance. Have you ever heard Horning hybrids?

Well, you might be several leagues beyond my thoughts, since what I said was kind of basic, but anyway, good luck,

Gregg

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.