Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: BD-Design Orphean horns are in and running in my system!

"You can tell us more about the differences between the Oris 150 horns (which I have; maybe one day I can upgrade?) and the Orpean horns? And what driver did you use with the Oris 150 horns?"

Well, I can't make a real up-to-date comparison. First, my old Oris 150 drivers were AER modified Lowther PM4A. The new drivers for Oris are a few to select from, all newly designed by AER for BD-Design. I never heard those.

Also, my speakers aren't broken in yet and there's some tweak adjustments I needed to make, but I can say with certainty some comparisons:

First, there is more dynamics and dynamic range with the Orpheans. I mean they have startling dynamics with a seemingly endless effortless high end to the SPL. The Oris horn is very good at dynamics, way above the average speaker, but these Orpheans are in the next league.

Second, there is no upward tilt to the balance of the sound in the Orphean that is there in the Oris. A little passive equalization is useful for the Oris but not at all needed for the Orphean (there's a full crossover with some equalizing effort built into the Orphean, but the Oris is run straight in with no crossover).

The distortion in the Orphean is very low. It exposes the source and amps completely, and the Oris places a slight veil over it. The Oris has a "paper-like" sound to it, where you can tell it's from a paper cone, if you're familiar with that. That's not a bad thing, mind you. The Orphean sometimes will sound a little "plastic-like", but only a little, and only sometimes. This seems to come and go and I think more of it will go as it breaks in. I'm counting on that.

The Orpheans when playing James Carter saxophone music at loud levels just blew me away last night. It was just a CD, not LP or SACD, but the power of his playing and the tone was simply astonishing to me. I used to demo this to people on my Avantgarde DUOs to show off this amazing midrange, but the Orpheans are again way ahead of the DUOs there. The sound was even more open and more effortless. Well, those DUOs had a sensitivity of about 103 dB and now here's the Orphean at 112 dB. That sensitivity number is seemingly important to how it handles high SPLs with low distortion - it seems to follow, and the Orpheans sound an order of magnitude ahead of the DUOs like its sensitivity numers are.

That about sums it up for now. With just 1W of power, you have a loud and clear stereo with these Orphean horns.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.