Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: BD-Design Orphean horns are in and running in my system!

On a similar note, I've been playing with "wideband" compression drivers from 200hz to 5Khz with a tweeter above 5K. XO is active 24db/octave. I get most of the advantages of fullrange drivers plus the dynamics, efficiency and headroom of horns. I've been listening to this rig more than my Fertins -- this weekend anyway, I've got one channel with the horns and one channel with the FR drivers -- which is NOT something I could say about the Altec 288B crossed at 800hz, a very typical setup. Definitely some integration oddities between the horn and 15" woofers at 200hz however.

Especially for those who want a more horn-like high power presentation, and if you have a large room and live where you can turn it up, I'd look down this path. It seems to me like a BIG plus to get midrange instruments and vocals all on one driver rather than trying to split them down the middle, especially trying to split vocals between two wildly dissimilar drivers like a 15" paper cone woofer and a compression driver.

Anyway, if you like fullrange cone drivers the sound is familiar. Usually when I hear typical horn systems crossed around 1000hz with speaker-level XO, it sounds good until I return to a FR, and then I lose interest.

Getting appropriate drivers is the trick. Most everything out there is made to cross in the 800hz-1500hz range. This is probably one thing in favor of the RCA MI-1428B -- it runs from 300hz to 5K+. What if we ended up back with the WE 555 -- a wideband compression driver running from 100hz to 5K? With today's electronic delay circuits, integration might be a bit easier than it was then. Maybe Steve Schell could make us something.

The BMS coaxials go very much down this path and it would be interesting to look into modifying them to go lower (200hz XO for example). In the home environment they would not likely be running more than about 125mW average and 2W peaks, compared to 20W with 200W peaks for prosound use, so that might not be too much of a problem. I was rocking the block at 1V average which is about 60mW on the 16 ohm drivers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: BD-Design Orphean horns are in and running in my system! - nl 15:47:35 03/25/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.