Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: damping cast-metal horns?

Heya Freddyi,

In theory a horn should only function as a boundary for the air column and ideally contributes nothing in the way of stored and released energy. In the real world it is often possible to detect the sonic signature of the material a horn is made from. I think that anything that is done to damp a horn and lessen its vibration is a step in the right direction.

Someone once told me of an AES paper (I have not seen it) that studied cast aluminum horns. One artifact that was found in measurements was a pre echo, where the driver's energy travelled through the horn structure and radiated from the horn's mouth before the sound had time to travel the length of the air column. Now we have something else to worry about!

The old tar filled horns are not the last word in low coloration due to the exponential expansion and segmentation, but their construction sure is. Knocking on these things with the knuckles is like tapping on a granite boulder. There is a clarity to their sound that is not achieved by the later, non filled versions. Damn, why does the best way always have to be the hardest way?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: damping cast-metal horns? - Steve Schell 23:57:32 03/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.