Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre?

Hi folks, I've just come into possession of a pair of what I believe are A7 VOT cabinets (24" x 30" x 42") with the following components inside:
Altec 416-8A woofers, Altec 806-8A compression drivers, Altec 511B horns and N809-8A crossovers. I don't think these were the original components but you tell me. The horns were recessed into the cabinet (I think to allow them to be covered with grill cloth (bug-screen...). I have moved the horns forward to fit flush with the front baffle (and ditched the bug-screen!) and have bi-amped them with a 24dB slope at 800Hz. They sound very, very good. However, I note in the literature that the horns are either on the bottom, inside the cabinet, or on top of the cabinet. Mine are in the cabinet, but towards the top. What's going on here? The other question I have is the porting for the woofer. Does it just exist on either side of the horn (if flush mounted), or what happens if the horns are mounted on top? And lastly, what tweeters (if any) do you recommend and at what crossover point? I'm presently using EV 350T babycheeks at 7000 Hz (24dB slope). Oh, and what would be preferable, these horns and drivers or JBL 2470 with JBL 2397 (Westlake) wooden horns?
Many thanks for reading this lengthy post.
Andrew

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre? - AndyGrandy 10:43:04 03/23/07 (20)

You can not post to an archived thread.