Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Altec 19 Models/Variations??

I'm not aware of any Model 19 with a 511 horn. I don't think that horn would fit into a stock Model 19 811 enclosure. Using a 511 would suggest that you were after a 500HZ woofer to HF xover and that would not be a Model 19 design parameter. In that case you might be better off with 515 woofers and a different HF driver. The first Model 19's had 416B woofers and 802-8G HF drivers with the then new tangerine phase plug. Then toward the end of production Altec used 416C woofers and 902 HF drivers. Which is better? That might depend on your personal feelings/beliefs about alnico and ferrite. The Model 19 was a departure from the more typical Altec "theater sound" or VOT approach and it was supposed to be a "home speaker." The woofer to HF xover was raised to 1200HZ and the HF driver is "compensated" with an RC network in the xover to flatten the the mid response and increase the HF response. In my experience the 19 has far better bass than a Valecia/Flamenco and probably better than some VOT variations due to the larger ported cabinet and 416B/C woofer. The mids might be described as less "shouty" and I find the highs are still lacking if your used to listening to efficient 3 way horn speaker systems. IMHO the 19 is up there with a handful of fine speakers if you add a real tweeter but some find the stock 19 fine as is. As a 3 way I find the 19 to be a very satisfying wide range speaker that needs no bass or treble boost to make it sound full range or authoritive. There's a 19 cult that consider them mysterious or almost magical but they are just a speaker designed a certain way and subject to tweaking for your own maximum enjoyment like any speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.