Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: What are the consequences of a non-optimal throat transition in a horn?

Hi Poul,

Sorry about being non-specific and thanks for responding anyway:-)

To be more specific:
I use a pair of 200 Hz exponentially flared rectangular horns (about 30" wide and 15" high at the mouth). These are loaded with 2" BMS 4592 ND "coax" drivers from 266 Hz and up (active high-pass with 12 dB/octave).

In the mid/high horns the first 3/4 of an inch (the "adapter")is not flared at all, but resembles a "tube" (I hope it is possible to visualize my description!). After that, the circular entry is slowly (over a distance of app. 2 inches) converted to the rectangular form of the exponential horn. This transition piece is fairly smooth, but not perfect.

In many respects this combo sounds good. However, I still hear some harshness in the treble (s-sounds in voices are too prominent), and it is not a level issue in the treble in general. Although Bill Woods kindly made a passive crossover for me that reduced this problem and certainly is a lot better than the standard BMS filter, I still think it is problematic.

It may have to do with the driver construction in itself (the tweeter section of the BMS coax is not horn loaded in the first part of the driver), but I also wonder whether the non-optimal throat construction may add to the harshness in the 6-9 kHz region. Do you think this might be the case?

Thanks!

Regards
Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.