Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Jordan JX92s and Hempacoustics FR8C

Well no one is jumping in. I can not answer your question in full but this is my experience. I do not know you requirements are but in my search for a single driver speaker I wanted a driver that would work well with low wattage tube amps and had good enough bass not to require a sub woofer. I ruled out Jordan drivers due to their lower efficiency rating. I ruled out Fostex drivers because I did not think I could build the complicated back loaded horn enclosures they require. The Hemp Acoustics FR8 requires only a simple bass reflex enclosure and is rated at 94 db 1 watt 1 meter. I have been listening them now for over two months. They are not perfect but no full range driver is. They take a full 100 hours or more of burn in to start sounding right. In an 89 liter enclosure with a 3" long 4" diameter port they produce bass to below 40 hertz. I mostly listen to jazz but lately have been digging out old rock lp's and listening to them because they are just fun to listen to. Female voices and Sinatra sound great on them as does jazz, blues and blue grass. They have a dynamic sound kind of like my Klipsch Heresy's but without any horn honk coloration. I am using the FR8B drivers by the way, I have not had a chance to try the C version yet. I am sure they are even better.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.