Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Field coil blast from the past with a nifty suspension . . .

Here is an interesting pair of units that I had not seen before, the Grigsby-Grunow Super-Dynamic Speaker Model G-2. My understanding is that America's Grigsby-Grunow made the Majestic brand of high-end radios in the 1920s and 1930s and the G-2 was used in the Model 70, among other units. Apparently these field coil speakers date from around 1932. Here is a schematic for the receiver: http://tinyurl.com/2trujd

What caught my eye is the rather interesting suspension that appears to be inside the voice coil former.

The voice coil impedance is 24 ohms and the field coil impedance is 2.6kohms. One of the two speakers has some damage to the cone but could be repaired.

I hope I'm still this functional at age 75!

These are being sold on a Japanese (Yahoo!) auction and the starting price of 79800 yen (US$676) for the pair strikes me as high. However, they are very interesting and it sure would be fun to hear what they sound like. If anyone has heard these or similar units please let me know your impressions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Field coil blast from the past with a nifty suspension . . . - Christopher Witmer 05:13:59 03/13/07 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.