Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Another OB experiment

"As to your OB system, I'd like to get a better understanding of your setup. Did you set the low-pass for the woofers at 50Hz? That seems too low, especially for a Lowther with a low Qts. I would not expect the Lowther on OB at a reasonable height to have any useful bass that low. Did you mean to say 150Hz? Also, I am confused by what you said: " but, the bass with my subs turned off is loud, tubby, and one note. TERRIBLE." I'd expect very little bass if your subs (did you mean the OB woofers or the transmission subs?) were turned off, for the reason above. "

Kurt,

Yea, I definately meant that my Bash amps and 15 inch Emminece Beta 15" woofers are set to operate at the Bash's maximum 150 HZ and below.

I usually run a pair of corner loaded transmission line subwoofers with my Je Labs baffles minus added woofers (Just Lowthers). Those sub woofers are generally crossed via their own plate amps at around 85-100 HZ. Even though these subs remain in the corners six feet behind the JE Labs baffles they meshed quite naturally with the baffles. When I am using the new 30" x 48" OB's with the 15 inch woofers, then I had crossed the corner subs at around 45-50 HZ. The 15" OB woofers set to handle all below 150 HZ to their natural limit of around 45 HZ. This setup was waaaay bass heavy. So, my 1st assumption was that I did not need subwoofers at all for this setup and turned them off. But, still sloppy, tubby, one note bass using only the new 15" OB woofers to augment the Lowthers. Potentially some room mode problems hers? I just should NOT be overpowered by any kind of bass with one 15 per OB. I will move the baffles around a bit within my space limitations in my listening room to hear if things improve. Could be that my room benefits better from a less imposing (size) Open Baffle? So I will try and get to the bottom of this bass issue for a day or so and then move on to my second new pair of OB's Kurt. These are 21" wide instead of 30". All other dimmensions are the same. This started ot as a multi driver comparison to determine why in the hell my defunct (kind of) pair of Lowther PMMKII's just WIPE OUT all of my other full/wide range drivers in the JE LABS OB's. Now it has gotten complicated. I guess I deserve this for adding so many variables to the study. Three new different sized B's (Baltic Birch is expensive in West Central Florida) and my first attempt at OB woofers. I really really apreciate your advice from your own experiences. Thanks a bunch.

Lance

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.