Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: No, Don't Do It!

Lowthers in back horns CAN deliver fairly deep bass, but you need the right style cabinet. The Big Fun horn and Miroslov's Veliki are examples of back horn speakers which can achieve flat bass down to 35 hz or so, which is pretty deep.

That is interesting about your findings that the PM2MKII drivers sound better than the DX4s on open baffles. Do you use a crossover with the PM2MKII drivers (if not, how do you avoid the rising frequency response)? It could be that the PM2s sound better solely because of the resulting frequency response. Perhaps if the DX4s had the same frequency response they would sound similar??? I use a single air core inductor in series with my Lowther drivers (minimal impact on sound quality).

Lowthers are better if high passed as it protects the sound quality of the midrange (and the integrity of the driver itself, unless if you play it at very low levels), and I agree that open baffle designs are more transparent than boxed speakers. Even with open baffles, high passing the Lowthers provides an improvement. I do this by using smaller coupling capacitors in my SE amps, which are there anyways so I am not adding any additional components to the audio chain that weren't there to begin with.

There is a lot of tweaking that can be done to OB cabinets. I would NOT use wings at 90 degrees (although that is how my design is now), but at some more open angle as it will reduce resonances. Also, the back of the baffle is helped by some sound absorption material.

I also would not use parallel sides as it increases resonances at specific frequencies due to edge defraction. Also, the edges should be of a large radius to limit edge defraction.

I think that 3/4 inch plywood is too thin for OB speakers. Because the speaker does not benefit from the sturdyness of a box, a thicker baffle is in order; especially since you are adding a bass driver to the same baffle. In my setup, I also have 15 inch drivers on the same baffle as the Lowthers and even with a second set of 18 inch drivers in a second dipole setup, the 15 inch drivers shake the 3/4 inch baffles too much.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: No, Don't Do It! - Retsel 14:52:50 03/12/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.