Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Lowthers in BR cabinets

Whoa, lots of opinions here and in the Rethm thread. Super! Here are some additional thoughts of mine on the whole topic:

- I've never heard an OB. This is the one type of single-driver implementation that's never caught my interest, but since I've never heard one, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

- I do not worry about the treble performance of any Lowther, really, as I find I just don't notice the roll-off. Treble is affected so much by room and placement (toe-in), and all of our hearing is so rolled-off above 15K by middle adulthood, it's just moot!

- I worry a little more about bass, as some of them are *seriously* bass-lite to the point where integrating with any sub becomes difficult, but on that note a sub to me is always a necessity. My main speakers now are flat to 35Hz but I still use a sub. Speakers that are rolling off in the 50s are Ok with me. I think my REL Stadium keeps up with about anything.

- I am leery of any design that puts anything between the amp & driver. I don't know for sure, but I take seriously those who say that any network is going to dilute the magic. I am getting magic even out of these wonderful Audio Nirvana drivers in little boxes that cost all of $650/pr. I want up that magic to the highest degree possible while filling in the midding mid-bass in a floorstanding enclousre with WAF (although she's quite generous).

- Along those lines, I have no interest at all in DIY. I don't have the time and I don't have the talent to build something that's suitable for the living room. Just not happening!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Lowthers in BR cabinets - Paul Folbrecht 07:17:40 03/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.