Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: what exactly is Hi Eff and why should I care?

There are different schools of HE. You have the horn guys who use big horn or horn-direct radiator combo speakers---Altecs, JBLs, EVs, Edgars, Klipsch etc. Typically using compression driver with horn mids and highs and large woofers in vented or horn enclosures. These speakers can give superb dynamics and high output with very low distortion. Big effortless sound. BIG sound.

Then you have the single-drivers, some of which are high efficiency and many which really aren't. These speakers generally have limited dynamics and have nothing in common with big horn systems using 15" woofers and compression drivers. Personally I see little advantage to such speakers. Some sound very nice but so do my KRKs from Guitar Center.

So efficiency itself is no guarantee a speaker will sound good or have anything in common with other high efficiency speakers. And there are many speakers that claim high efficiency but aren't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.