Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Earl's a very smart guy...

...with a lot of constructive things to offer. I really like him, and like to talk with him. In spite of his seeming arrogance on the messageboards and E-Mails, in person, he is a nice, reserved, even quiet man. He won't shy away from a conversation, and you can tell that he always thinks he is right. But he isn't usually as abrasive about things in person as he is in E-mails and messageboard posts. He is simply confident in his aproach to things, and in his solutions.

The problem I've had with Earl is that he seems to want to "take ownership" of many audio concepts, some that he hasn't studied deeply and so is not really qualified to speak about. Look at his books, for example. Lots of chapters, as though he wants to touch on every subject. Sometimes I think that's so he can say, "I wrote a book on that," when in fact, he may have made only a cursory overview of the subject.

Once Earl has taken a stand, he'll defend it way past the point where it is obviously indefensible. At that point, he'll generally fabricate a set of conditions that make his case more plausible. I don't like that, and think it is beneath him. Just like Franklin was frustrated by the DNA models of Watson and Crick, Geddes sometimes finds himself unable to accept the work of others, particularly if they aren't accredited in acoustics.

Earl's a smart guy. I like discussing things with him. But I'd like him a whole lot more if he didn't try so hard to maintain his ivory tower.

Eric, that's a different story. He knocks everyone but Edgar, and I don't think that's very productive either. Earl can be frustrating, sure. But Eric never gave him a chance because he saw him as a threat to Edgar. That's a shame, because both have good things to say and the real problem is the Ford/Chevy mentality that people tend to take. Clouds their view to the point of blindness.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Earl's a very smart guy... - A Friend 22:11:14 03/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.