Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Interesting experiments: audibility of crossover types

Very interesting link Frank.

I think however there is a slight inbuilt flaw in the test method.
Let me try to explain.
Duke states: “Looks to me like the data indicates that smooth power response (even coupled with relatively poor on-axis response) correlates best with listener preference.”
And yes that is the same conclusion I draw. However the power response is not only determined by the crossover slope, it is also determined by the size of the driver relative to frequency, and in vertical plane the distance from driver center to driver center relative to the wavelength at the crossover.
What we always have to remember is that for a given power handling, a higher slope filter allows us to crossover at a lower frequency, so comparing these filter slopes at the same frequency, is not really fair.
How much extra headroom a 48dB/octavefilter gives in real world conditions relative to an 18dB/octave Butterworth or a 6dB/octave is obviously open for debate. But it is surely a relevant question which has to be taken in consideration!!
A question which can be objectively examined by those, with the test equipment, time and interest.
For the reason given here I feel that the 48dB filter is not out of the running.
Best wishes from Denmark.
KlausDK

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Interesting experiments: audibility of crossover types - klausDK 10:58:55 02/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.