Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Frazier-May speaker info?

Thanks for the info.

Kind of interesting, because it appears that Frazier-May only existed for 2-3 years max and maybe for as little as just a year or two which would explain why some people were telling me that finding a "Frazier-May" labeled speaker was VERY rare in comparison to the later Frazier models.

What makes this even more interesting is that I have a pair of the JBL D208's that I was considering for these cabinets, which, from that article, is what Jack was developing with JBL at the time he left FM and went to work for JBL, so historically speaking it sounds like it would be an excellent match. (Obviously I would need to figure out how to get a mounting plate attached to the boxes to fit an 8 instead of a 10 as they are currently set up for.

From the link:
During this time, Frazier May used OEM drivers, with Quam Nichols as their main supplier. Ed was always on the look out for better performing drivers and was very impressed with the JBL D208. He was developing a system that used a horn-loaded 8" driver and this JBL performed better than any previous transducer. Nonetheless, a fair amount of technical work was undertaken by Ed in getting optimum performance out of the D208. He worked closely with JBL in doing this optimization. In turn, JBL took note of Ed May's high level of technical ability. In 1956, JBL called with an offer for Ed to join the company.

So if he left his Mortuary job in 1953, worked for a while at Muzak before meeting and eventually pairing up with Jack Frazier and then went to work for JBL in 1956, it must have been a short, but productive pairing.

I don't expect those little boxes to rock the world, but I'm guessing, given their lineage, that they will sound quite nice and be a nice introduction into FR / HE speakers for me.

I'm feeling kinda luck, really!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Frazier-May speaker info? - waldenpuddle 13:00:49 02/27/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.